Art & Design
At St Stephen’s Infants School, we believe that providing a diverse and wide range of Art and Design experiences contributes to the development of the whole child, stimulating their imagination and creativity whilst developing resilience, self-confidence, perseverance, concentration, sensitivity, self-criticism and awareness. We value Art and Design as it provides children with a unique way of perceiving themselves and the world around them and supports the development of knowledge, concepts and skills that enhances learning across the wider curriculum.
Children develop their fine motor control when using a variety of media and tools to develop techniques, skills and processes. They will also develop appropriate vocabulary so that they are able to communicate their experiences, ideas and to evaluate their own and other’s work.
By the time children leave St Stephen’s they are able to:
- Use experiences and ideas from the wider world and other cultures as the inspiration for their own artwork
- Share their ideas using drawing, painting and sculpture
- Use a variety of art and design techniques when using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- Respond and reflect about the work of a range of artists and make links to their own work
- Explore, create, enquire, experiment and express their thoughts, feelings and emotions in Art and Design
Expressive arts and design involves enabling children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials, as well as providing opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in art, including drawing, painting, collage, printing and sculpture, using malleable materials such as clay and playdough.
Art and design enables children to develop ideas, to master techniques and to take inspiration from the greats. Below are the SSIS progression of skills documents for Art & Design .
Art & Design at St Stephen's